As per section 154 Cr.P.C. Police is duty bound to register a cognizable offence when reported by any person. The offence can be reported:-

  • By submitting in writing the details of offence either personally or through post.
  • By narrating orally to officer in-charge of Police station.
  • By informing through telephone.

The offence should be reported to officer in charge of a police station as far as possible but can be reported to MHC. If these officials refuse to register an offence a person can approach Supervisory Officer of police station or Supdt. of Police of the district rural.

Copies of FIRs are given free of cost. Insist on claiming your copy immediately after registration of a case.

A Criminal case (FIR) can be registered only in the event of a cognizable offence.

Go to Navigation